Saturday 23 January 2016

A Change in Perspective...

Hello everyone!


 How's your January going? Dry? Gloomy? Yeaaaah, me too. Anyway, I wondered if any of you had noticed that my instagram photos are becoming slightly more unusual...? 

As much as I love fashion blogging, I've actually been taking much more pleasure in dressing up and styling myself in unusual ways for photos, rather than just snapping my outfit of the day (although I still enjoy it!). I've started having fun creating 'scenes' again, and putting together particular combinations that I definitely wouldn't normally wear just to pop out for some milk or for a quick trip to the pub. I haven't made much art in the last month or so, so I definitely think it's that coming out in a slightly strange way. And I love it. I love styling photos and putting together props and outfits that can create an atmosphere, visually tell a story. 

I've loved it since I started doing it back when I was 15, for my art gcse coursework. Being given a theme and told to 'go wild' with it, was the most fun I've ever had with schoolwork. I used to visit charity shops looking for unusual props that I could warp to fit my themes, dress my friends up and pose them in ways that I'm sure they can't have been totally comfortable with, and created all sorts of bizarre scenarios. I remember for one project, I hooked a friend up to some wires, gave someone else a controller, and told her to become a 'human robot'.

And to tell you the truth, I'm thrilled that I've discovered that again. Now, all my recent photos I'm sure do seem very tame compared to what I've been describing, and in a way they are - I'm not planning anything crazy. Not just yet. For now, I'm just enjoying how it goes, being more creative - being much more myself. Not focusing on fashion as much as I am style. Styling. And some famous person who I'd love to quote right now (but I can't because I forgot who it was), once said that style has nothing to do with what you're wearing. Now although I don't see it entirely that way, I definitely get the gist. So....watch this space.

A few months ago I made a post detailing my inspiration of photographers like Petra Collins, Juno Calypso, and my desire to start a new photography project and get back to my creative, weirdo artist roots. Although up until now I was lacking creative motivation and that hasn't quite materialised, I've had a sudden burst of inspiration, and people - the creative juices are flowing. They are  f l o o o o o o o w i n g.  I hope to combine my love of fashion, blogging and visual storytelling with this project very soon, and start creating some weird (and hopefully wonderful) imagery. Watch this space!

NOW totally contradicting all of that. Here is my outfit of the day from a few days ago. Because I've been applying for jobs and going for meetings recently, this is all I've managed to snap - a semi-professional animal-obsessed fashion-loving outfit. Hey...it's definitely still something I enjoy, so I didn't say I was going to stop doing it completely!










Faux Fur Coat - Zara
Shirt - Zara (via Depop)
Faux Suede Skirt - Forever 21
Bag - Beyond Retro
Lipstick - Topshop Ombre







Till next time xxxxx









1 comment:

  1. You have like, the funnest sense of style. Your Insta is so colorful, I love it. And this elephant outfit is fantastic.

    xx
    Scarlett and Giselle

    ReplyDelete